In today’s rapidly evolving business landscape, launching a small business is both exciting and challenging. With the increasing competition and evolving market dynamics, entrepreneurs need to be well-prepared to thrive in this environment. One crucial aspect of this preparation is understanding and complying with the regulations set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
In a world where startups and small businesses are continually emerging, it’s essential to have a well-thought-out strategy when launching your own. The competitive landscape is tougher than ever, but with the right approach, your small business can not only survive but also thrive.
Launching a small business today is a challenging endeavor, given the ever-increasing competition and rapidly evolving market dynamics. In this article, you will explore the key steps to successfully launch and grow your small business in this fiercely competitive environment.
11 Tips to Make Your Small Business Successful
1. Conduct a Thorough Market Analysis
Thorough market research is the fundamental aspect of making your small business successful in this competitive landscape. When you conduct market research, it helps business owners get better insight into data such as the latest and emerging trends, customer preferences, new market challenges, what to consider during penetration, and more. By considering market research, small businesses will easily tailor their brand products and services. Moreover, they have the chance to understand the customer’s needs and demands and make efforts to capture their attention efficiently.
Bear in mind that analyzing competitors is one of the most essential parts of developing and refining your business strategies. Once you determine what your customers are demanding, you just need to find out the potential areas to improve your business and stand out among the clutter.
2. Differentiate and Niche Positioning
In a crowded marketplace, it’s essential to find a way to stand out. One effective approach is differentiation. This involves offering a product or service that is distinct in some way, such as through unique features, superior quality, or exceptional customer service. For instance, the availability of a distinguished payment option like the Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) service ( can attract a large number of customers due to its flexibility in terms of delaying the upfront costs in easy and manageable installments. Niche positioning is another strategy. Instead of trying to cater to a broad audience, focus on a specific niche where you can excel. This enables you to target a smaller, but more dedicated customer base and build a strong reputation in that niche.
3. Construct a Strong and Solid Business Plan
Sometimes small businesses lack in making a solid business plan, which becomes the most significant reason to not settle down their brand products in this competitive marketplace. That is the reason, considering a solid business plan is the foundation that outlines your mission, vision, goals, and strategies, and even helps you in achieving your goals successfully. However, when you construct an effective plan, you will also analyze your final projections, marketing plans, and operational blueprint. A strong business plan not only serves as a roadmap for your business but is also a valuable tool for attracting investors or securing loans.
4. Online Presence Is Important
We are all surrounded by online websites and tools to make purchases online. Interestingly, nobody can deny the increasing demand for online marketing. So, in this digital age, having a strong online presence is essential to creating a professional website, engaging in social media marketing, and considering e-commerce options. The online presence of your business helps you to reach your targeted audience easily and even gives you an understanding of what they want from your products and services. In addition, it helps you stand out among your competitors, increase brand visibility, and helps to attain a broader audience.
5. Follow Customer-Centric Approach
Customer satisfaction is paramount in small business growth. Building and maintaining strong customer relationships can lead to repeat business and positive word-of-mouth recommendations. Gather feedback from your customers and use it to improve your products or services. Offering personalized experiences and excellent customer service can set you apart from competitors. While acquiring new customers is essential for growth, don’t overlook the value of retaining existing ones. It’s often more cost-effective to retain customers than to acquire new ones. Implement loyalty programs and engage with your existing customer base to keep them coming back.
6. Offer Exceptional Customer Experience
Outstanding customer service can be a game-changer in a competitive market. Your customers’ experiences with your business will influence their loyalty and whether they recommend your brand to others. Train your team to provide top-notch service and actively seek feedback to improve it continually. Continual innovation can set you apart from competitors. Stay open to customer feedback and regularly update and enhance your products or services. Customers appreciate businesses that adapt to their evolving needs.
7. Make Effective Marketing Campaigns
Effective marketing is essential for small businesses to reach their target audience. Develop a well-rounded marketing strategy that includes both online and offline tactics. Use social media marketing, content marketing, and traditional advertising methods to create a buzz around your brand.
8. Crafting a Unique Value Proposition
In today’s competitive environment, your small business must offer something unique that sets it apart from the competition. Craft a compelling value proposition that clearly defines what makes your business special. This should not only resonate with your target audience but also be something your competitors cannot easily replicate.
9. Collaborate With Different Partners
Collaborating with other businesses can open doors to new opportunities. Networking and forming partnerships can help small businesses access new markets, resources, and expertise. For example, co-marketing with complementary businesses or establishing strategic alliances can expand your reach and reduce marketing costs. However, consulting with legal and industry experts can help you navigate regulatory and compliance issues specific to your business. It’s always better to seek professional advice early on to avoid potential legal complications in the future.
10. Leverage Technology
Technology can be a game-changer for small businesses. Utilize modern software and tools to streamline your operations, manage customer relationships, and improve overall efficiency. Embrace e-commerce solutions to expand your reach beyond local markets.
11. Must Compliance with OSHA Requirements
Launching a small business in today’s competitive environment requires more than just a great business idea and a solid marketing plan. Safety and compliance with regulations are essential components of success. In this article, we will discuss the importance of OSHA compliance and how it can contribute to your small business’s competitive edge. y and Health Administration (OSHA) sets and enforces safety and health regulations for businesses in the United States. Compliance with OSHA standards is vital for several reasons:
However, OSHA regulations are not optional; they are legal requirements that must be followed. Non-compliance can result in fines, penalties, and legal issues that can be detrimental to a small business. Compliance with OSHA can also enhance your reputation in the eyes of your customers. They are more likely to trust and do business with companies that prioritize safety. Additionally, many clients and partners prefer working with businesses that follow safety regulations, as it reduces potential liabilities and disruptions in the supply chain.
To Wrap Up the Things
In today’s competitive business landscape, launching and sustaining a small business requires a multifaceted approach. Understanding the competitive landscape, crafting a unique value proposition, building a strong online presence, and managing finances prudently are all crucial aspects. However, never overlook the importance of OSHA compliance. It not only fulfills legal obligations but also promotes a safe and healthy workplace, earns customer trust, and provides a competitive advantage. No doubt, enrolling in OSHA courses will also give you a better understanding and tips for compliance with OSHA and building your brand worldwide. By combining these strategies, your small business can thrive in the competitive arena while ensuring the well-being of your employees and customers.
The post Launching a Small Business in Today’s Competitive Landscape appeared first on SiteProNews.
With the biggest sales of the year here, we provide expert advice on how to shop online more safely
Nearly 32% of Canadians have experienced an online shopping scam in the past, according to a survey by NordVPN, which is 5% more than estimated a year ago.
Furthermore, the survey also showed that every fifth Canadian who has ever been scammed while shopping has experienced it on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. This is the equivalent of almost 2 million Canadians.
With Cyber Monday here, cyber scammers have their sights on almost half of the Canadians who might take part in the event — 46% (4% more than last year) of Canadian shoppers say they’ll head online for Cyber Monday, Black Friday, or the Christmas sales, with a further 40% yet to decide.
“We have seen in the past that cybercriminals become very active during the shopping season, so 18 million Canadians who plan to take advantage of the deals this year should better be on guard,” says Adrianus Warmenhoven, cybersecurity expert at NordVPN. “The main thing we encourage people to remember this shopping season is if the offer looks too good to be true or a lot of personal information is requested for you to get a deal — you are probably being scammed.”
Nine in Ten would Reveal Their Private Information in Exchange for a Bargain
As many as 88% of Canadians are willing to hand over at least some personal data to land a bonus gift, discount, or free service. Compared to last year’s survey, this figure is 1% higher.
The percentage is slightly lower for those who have already experienced an online shopping scam in the past. Nearly 87% of those would share their information to get a deal.
Out of all Canadian online shoppers surveyed, 5% would hand over their credit card details, 1% would give their social insurance number, and one in ten (8%) would reveal where they worked. A further 3% would even reveal their children’s names for the chance to bag an extra bargain.
How to Protect Yourself from this Year’s Online Shopping Scams
- Make sure you only give as much information as needed. A legitimate website will only request the information needed to make a transaction and ship your order.
- Check that the URL is right. Making sure you’re in the right online store could be the difference between entering your card details at “Nike.com” and “n1ke.com.” This small variance in URLs leaves a huge opportunity for hackers and scammers to land you on a malicious website.
- Beware of shortened URLs. If you stumble across an ad for a bargain with a shortened URL, try checking out the company’s site by entering their address manually. If you can’t seem to find the deal from the ad manually, you might have saved yourself from a scam.
- Avoid shopping on public Wi-Fi. It’s generally best to avoid shopping online using public Wi-Fi networks because public Wi-Fi typically exhibits poor security and is often scanned by hackers to breach weak connections. If you lack alternatives, VPNs are a way to encrypt your connection and protect your data.
- Use tools to protect your online shopping experience. In the same ways hackers use AI to automate their attacks, users can use tools to identify fishy online shopping websites. Tools like NordVPN’s Threat Protection help flag suspicious webpages and protect users from being scammed.
- Monitor your bank statements. One of the best ways to ensure you aren’t being scammed is by monitoring your bank statements. Doing this allows you to not only keep track of purchases and costs but can also help you be quick to respond in case of a suspicious transaction.
“Additionally, people can also add extra security while using a virtual credit card. It allows people to use the temporary number to shop online without showing the seller your real credit card details,” says Adrianus Warmenhoven, cybersecurity expert at NordVPN.
The post Around Two Million Canadians Have Fallen Victim to a Scam on Black Friday or Cyber Monday appeared first on SiteProNews.
The phrase ‘Content is King’ is well-known and widely accepted today. And thanks to the proliferation of AI writing tools, businesses and individuals are creating and distributing more content than ever.
However, that’s not all it takes to build a successful content marketing strategy. Other factors matter, too, with the key one being content updation.
In this post, I share the reasons why updating your content is critical. We’ll also look at how to do this strategically so that you aren’t updating your content in a random way that creates problems instead of solving them.
Search engines like Google take information and content very seriously. Very often, people look for information that can affect their health, happiness, and finances.
Blog content and articles around such topics and other categories in general need to be accurate, relevant, and up-to-date.
Content must also reflect changes in technology, the relevant industry, and other factors that affect its integrity.
So, content freshness is a major factor in winning in content marketing. And this translates to updating your content regularly so you don’t lose your position in search engine rankings.
Other reasons to update your content include:
- Keeping pace with industry trends
- Preventing content decay
- Enhancing user experience
- Increasing audience engagement
- Boosting credibility
- Attracting new visitors
- Retaining existing audience
There are even more subtle benefits, but the ones listed here are some of the most important. As you can see, content updates are critical if you want your business to survive. Next, let’s explore how to strategize your content updates.
Here’s how you can strategize the best way to find obsolete or outdated content, rewrite them, and update your posts.
Recognizing the content that requires an update is the first and foremost step in crafting an effective content update strategy. Here are some practical tips to help you identify outdated content:
- Use SEO Tools: Tools like Google Analytics, SEMRush, and Ahrefs can help you track changes in your content’s performance. Look for pages with decreasing traffic, falling search rankings, or declining engagement, as these are likely candidates for an update.
- Review Content Regularly: Set a schedule to review your content regularly. Make it a monthly task or assign a specific person to handle updates – that’s what we do for each of our blogs. We also have multiple people to handle reviews for large blogs. Manually reviewing older posts or information in an effective way to find what needs to be updated.
- Watch for partner, product, and industry updates: Keep an eye out for updates from your partners, changes in your product or services, and developments in your industry. These can all impact the accuracy and relevance of your content. For example, the change that took place when Twitter became X is a perfect example of such a scenario.
- Read comments and feedback: Pay attention to the comments and feedback left by your readers. They may point out information that is no longer accurate or suggest updates they would like to see.
- Monitor social media: Keep an eye on social media, especially hashtags related to your industry, product, or service. This can help you identify topics that are trending and need to be addressed in your content.
At this stage, focus on identifying content rather than making changes immediately. Especially if your content needs careful review and multiple changes.
However, if all you need to do is add a single word or sentence like a new product feature, then it makes sense to update articles and posts right away without needing a strategy.
In this instance, we are focused on creating a strategic approach to updating content, so let’s move on to the next step.
Answering Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How will help you create a system to update your content without a hitch.
Let’s start with who is responsible for the updates. Will it be one person or a team? Which department will handle this task? There’s no single correct answer in this situation. It depends on how many updates you have to make. For a blog with hundreds and thousands of posts, you’ll need a dedicated team. But if you need to refresh a few dozen articles, one person could be enough.
Next, define what you’ll update. This means prioritizing your content. The most important pieces are the ones that drive the most sales, engagement, and traffic. These are the money makers and should get top priority so they don’t slip through the SERP rankings.
However, what’s important depends on the goal. If you’ve done a rebrand, then your priority will be updating those pages that mention the older brand elements rather than the content that gets the most traffic. Let your overarching goal define your update priorities.
At this stage, you should set up the ‘Where’ as in where will you track these new updates. In my company, we use Asana. It’s a project management platform that lets you assign tasks and track them easily. You’ll know who is working on an update and how the overall project is going.
You can also figure out the exact ‘How,’ ‘When,’ and other details during this time.
Let’s say you have multiple blogs or have multiple important categories in one blog. You could create a separate Asana project for each of them and title them ‘Health and Fitness Update’ and ‘Company XYZ Update’.
Then, create tasks under each one. With a specific page or post update belonging to a single task each. Add due dates to them and assign each one to the right person. You can also use tasks and subtasks for greater refinement.
In this way, you have a clear picture of the overall changes you will make, when they happen, and who is responsible. We work this way in our company, and it’s highly effective.
Mistakes can happen, or you may find that your update strategy is not as effective as you thought. That’s why it’s important to review your strategy after execution.
Consider these points:
- Did our updates help achieve the desired goal?
- Were there any unexpected changes or issues caused by the updates?
- How can we improve our update process for future use?
Also, assign a person to recheck to see if the edits and updates are accurate and error-free. This is especially important if multiple people are responsible for different updates.
Once you have completed the review, note any changes or improvements that need to be made in your update process. These notes will come in handy when it’s time for the next round of updates.
You should also track your website performance after these updates using SEO platforms like Semrush, Ahrefs, or Google Search Console.
When updating content, there are a few best practices to keep in mind:
- Be thorough. Don’t just make surface-level changes. Go through the entire piece of content and update any outdated information or links. And remember that Google knows if you make superficial changes. You won’t benefit by changing a word or two if you want to maintain your rankings.
- Keep your tone consistent. If you’re updating a piece of content that was written in a specific tone, try to maintain that same tone throughout the updates.
- Review regularly. Don’t let too much time pass before reviewing your older content. It should be a regular practice to keep it up-to-date and relevant.
- Encourage communication in your team. Your writers and editors will have questions when updating content, so make sure there is open communication throughout the process and also be available to help.
- Create a style guide and documentation. This will ensure consistency across all your content and make it easier for new team members to understand the tone and voice of your brand.
Keep these best practices in mind to ensure that your updated content is high-quality, relevant, and consistent with your overall brand image.
There you go. This is my best advice on how to effectively update your content.
Ultimately, you can develop a different system or strategy that’s different and works for your business.
What is important is that you’re organized and have a clear goal when making updates. This will ensure that your content remains informative, authoritative, and friendly while staying relevant and valuable to your audience.
Keep updating your content, and you’re sure to see it reflected in your boosted search rankings, traffic, and sales!
The post A Strategy to Identify, Rewrite and Update Your Outdated Content appeared first on SiteProNews.
Welcome to the world of Instagram, where visual storytelling has become a powerful tool for businesses to connect with their target audience. This platform has rapidly gained popularity in recent years and has become an essential part of any successful business marketing strategy. With over 2.35 billion monthly active users, Instagram offers a massive opportunity for businesses to increase their profits through effective monetization strategies.
In this article, we will explore the various ways to monetize your Instagram account like a pro and maximize your business profits. From building brand trust with your audience to using sponsored posts and collaborating with other brands, we will provide you with the tips and strategies you need to succeed on Instagram. So, let’s dive in and discover how you can turn your Instagram account into a profitable asset for your business.
Build Brand Trust with the Audience
In today’s digital age, building a solid and trustworthy brand is crucial for the success of any business. With Instagram being a highly visual and interactive platform, it provides the perfect opportunity to connect and engage with your audience in a more personal and authentic way. Here are some tips on how to build brand trust with your audience through your Instagram account:
1. Consistency Is Key
Ensure your brand messaging, visuals, and tone are consistent across all your Instagram content. This creates a cohesive and recognizable brand image that your audience can trust.
2. Engage with Your Audience
Respond to comments and messages, ask for feedback, and be open to suggestions. It shows that you value your audience’s opinions and are willing to listen and interact with them, building trust and loyalty with your Instagram users.
3. Showcase Your Brand’s Values
Use your Instagram account to highlight your brand’s values and mission. It helps your audience understand and connect with your brand more deeply.
By building trust with your audience, you not only strengthen your brand’s reputation but also increase the likelihood of them purchasing from you. So, make sure to put in the effort to establish a trustworthy and reliable brand on Instagram.
Set Up an Instagram Shop
One of the most direct ways to monetize your Instagram account is by setting up an Instagram shopping feature. It allows your followers to purchase products directly from your posts or stories, making it convenient and easy for them to shop from your account. Here are a few steps to follow when setting up Instagram shopping:
- Create a business account on Instagram and connect it to your Facebook page.
- Ensure your business is eligible for Instagram shopping by meeting the requirements, such as having a physical product to sell and following Instagram’s commerce policies.
- Set up your Instagram shopping by going to your profile, tapping “Edit Profile,” and selecting “Shopping.”
- Add your product catalog to your account through Facebook’s Business Manager.
- Tag your products in your posts and stories to make them shoppable.
With Instagram shopping, you can showcase your products and make it easy for your audience to purchase them. This not only increases your chances of making sales, but it also helps build brand trust as customers can see the products in action on your account. Take advantage of this valuable feature for monetizing your Instagram account!
Use Sponsored Posts and Instagram Ads
Sponsored posts and Instagram ads are powerful tools for businesses to reach a wider audience and increase profits. These paid promotions allow you to showcase your products or services to a targeted audience, making it more likely for them to convert into customers.
Benefits of Sponsored Posts and Instagram Ads
- Increased brand visibility: Sponsored posts and ads reach a larger audience, giving your brand more exposure.
- Targeted marketing: You can choose the demographics, interests, and behaviors of the audience you want to target, ensuring your posts and ads are seen by potential customers.
- Increased engagement: With sponsored posts and ads, you can encourage users to take action, such as visiting your website or making a purchase, leading to a higher level of engagement.
- Measurable results: Instagram provides analytics and insights for sponsored posts and ads, allowing you to track the success of your campaigns and make necessary adjustments.
When using sponsored posts and Instagram ads, it is vital to create visually appealing and engaging content that resonates with your target audience. Use high-quality images and videos, compelling captions, and relevant hashtags to make your posts and ads stand out.
Tip: Collaborating with influencers can also be a great way to utilize sponsored posts and ads, as they have a loyal following and can help promote your brand to their audience.
Join Affiliate Programs
Affiliate marketing can be a lucrative way to monetize your Instagram account. By partnering with other brands, you can earn a commission for promoting their products or services to your audience. It not only adds a stream of revenue for your business, but it also helps to build trust with your followers.
To join affiliate programs:
- Research brands that align with your niche and target audience.
- Reach out to them and pitch your partnership idea, highlighting the potential benefits for both parties.
- When choosing to promote products or services, make sure they are relevant to your audience and align with your brand’s values.
To track your affiliate sales, use unique referral codes or links the brand provides. It will also help you negotiate better deals with the brand in the future based on your performance. Be transparent with your audience about your partnership and only promote products you genuinely believe in. It will help to maintain your authenticity and credibility with your Instagram followers.
Utilize Instagram Live Badges
One of the newest and most effective ways to monetize your Instagram account is Instagram Live Badges. These badges allow your followers to support your content by purchasing a virtual badge during live streams. Not only does this create a sense of community and connection with your audience, but it also allows you to earn money directly from your followers.
To utilize Instagram Live Badges, you must have a minimum of 10,000 followers and be at least 18 years old. Once you meet these requirements, you can add badges to your live streams by clicking on the “Badges” icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. You can choose from three badge options – $0.99, $1.99, and $4.99 – and your followers can purchase as many as they’d like during the stream. As an added bonus, Instagram is currently waiving its 30% fee for badges, meaning you will receive the total amount of each purchase.
By utilizing Instagram Live Badges, you not only create a new revenue stream for your business, but you also show your followers that you value their support and engagement. It will help build brand trust and loyalty, increasing profits in the long run. So start incorporating live badges into your Instagram strategy and watch your profits grow.
Collaborate with Other Brands
Collaborating with other brands is a great way to monetize your Instagram account and increase your reach. By partnering with other businesses, you can tap into their existing audience and gain new followers who may be interested in your products or services.
When looking for potential brand collaborations, choose companies that align with your business and target audience. It will ensure that your partnership is authentic and resonates with your followers.
There are various ways to collaborate with other brands on Instagram. You can do a joint giveaway or contest, where both brands contribute prizes and promote the giveaway on their accounts. It can attract new followers and increase engagement.
Another option is to create co-branded content, such as a sponsored post or Instagram Story, where both brands are featured. It allows both companies to cross-promote and reach a wider audience.
Remember always to disclose any brand collaborations to maintain transparency with your audience. By collaborating with other brands, you can not only monetize your Instagram account but also build relationships and trust with your audience and other businesses.
Maximize Your Instagram Fan Base
One of the most essential elements of monetizing your Instagram account is having a large and engaged fan base. These are the people who will be potential customers for your business. So, how can you maximize your Instagram fan base to increase your profits?
1. Create Quality Content:
The key to attracting and retaining a large fan base is consistently posting high-quality content that resonates with your target audience. This includes using attractive visuals, engaging captions, and relevant hashtags.
2. Interact with Your Followers:
Engage with your followers by responding to comments and direct messages and actively participating in Instagram stories and polls. It will make them feel valued and connected to your brand.
3. Collaborate with Influencers:
Partnering with influencers in your niche can help you reach a larger audience and gain more followers. Look for influencers with a strong and engaged following to collaborate with.
By following these tips, you can maximize your Instagram fan base and increase your potential customer base. Remember, the more engaged and loyal your followers are, the more likely they are to support your business and contribute to your profits.
Monetizing your Instagram account can be a game-changer for your business. With the platform’s increasing popularity and importance, it’s crucial to utilize it effectively to maximize profits. Following the tips and strategies discussed in this article, you can build brand trust with your audience, set up an Instagram shopping feature, use sponsored posts and ads, join affiliate programs, utilize Instagram Live badges, and collaborate with other brands.
These methods can help you reach a wider audience, increase sales, and ultimately, boost your business’s profits. Don’t hesitate to implement these tips and see the positive impact on your Instagram account and business. With the right approach and creativity, you can monetize your Instagram account like a pro and enjoy its benefits. So, make the most of this powerful platform to take your business to new heights.
The post Maximizing Business Profit: How to Monetize Your Instagram Account Like a Pro appeared first on SiteProNews.
What is the great hidden cost of doing business and carrying on the government? Poor communication. And the numbers are staggering. Anyone who needs proof can find it in the just-published second edition of Writing for Dollars, Writing to Please: The Case for Plain Language in Business, Government, and Law, by Joseph Kimble, a distinguished professor emeritus at Cooley Law School. He has been collecting data for decades.
One chapter in the book summarizes 60 empirical studies showing the benefits of using plain language for both sides—agencies and companies on the one hand, and consumers on the other. Here are just a handful of examples:
- The Veterans Benefits Administration revised a single letter and tested it at a regional office. From one year to the next, phone calls dropped from about 1,110 to about 200. That’s one letter alone at a single agency.
- In the State of Washington, the Department of Revenue rewrote a letter that tripled the number of businesses paying a commonly ignored use tax.
- After simplifying a billing statement, the Cleveland Clinic recovered an additional $1 million a month in the months following, thanks to an 80 percent increase in patient payments.
- Researchers gave persons taking out payday loans two different envelopes containing their loan: for one group, the envelope was blank; for the other group, the envelope had graphics that either compared the cost of the loan over months with credit-card fees or illustrated how long, on average, people take to repay the loan. The envelopes with graphics decreased borrowing by 17 percent. When applied to the total amount that Americans borrowed in that year, this represents an $8.5 billion decrease.
- In Canada, the Digital Transformation Office worked with different agencies to improve website design and content. In prototype testing, the user success jumped from 40 to 85 percent in one instance, from 23 to 68 percent in another, and from 23 to 72 percent in another.
The studies were done in countries around the world. Besides Canada, that includes the U.K., Ireland, Portugal, Norway, Sweden, Hungary, South Africa, Portugal, Australia, and New Zealand.
“Again, the gains from plain language tend to be reciprocal: what benefits government or a business very often benefits consumers as well,” said Kimble. “If, for instance, a letter or a website is decently clear so that fewer people make mistakes or need to call the phone center, then both sides win. And besides the quantifiable benefits demonstrated in the studies, think of the unquantifiable costs—the frustration, anxiety, anger, and ill-will created when the public cannot understand what they’re being asked to do, or what their rights are, or what steps they need to take to claim a benefit. In the case of medical information, poor communication can lead to disastrous results.”
The main goal of plain language is to make online and written information clear and accessible to the greatest possible number of its users. This takes great skill and draws on dozens of principles and techniques, ranging over organization, design (or layout), sentences, words, and testing documents on ordinary readers whenever possible. One chapter of the book lists the elements of plain language. Another one addresses the ten biggest myths about plain language (for instance, it reduces writing to baby talk, it’s subverted by the need to use technical terms, it’s not accurate or precise).
“The evidence is undeniable: readers (including even judges and lawyers) strongly prefer plain language in public and legal documents, they understand it better than bureaucratic and legalistic style, they find it faster and easier to use, they are more likely to comply with it, and they are much more likely to read it in the first place,” said Kimble. ”And because of all that, plain language—in its full scope—can save all kinds of organizations untold amounts of money. If they would only invest in plain-language programs, the investment would repay itself many times over. They would improve the public’s perception of them. And they would make life easier for everyone.”
The post The Multiple and Extraordinary Benefits of Writing in Plain Language appeared first on SiteProNews.
Disclosure: We are a professional review site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review. We are independently owned and we have spent time and effort doing our best to offer you the most relevant and accurate information. All the "customer reviews" are posted by real webmasters (hosting customers) and we're not responsable for their opinions. Purchasing any service from the hosting companies listed on our site is your solely decision.
|Stats Panel||Last 24h||Last Month||Total|